SUMMARY: solutions for popup help in web applications

Subject: SUMMARY: solutions for popup help in web applications
From: "J.C. Morel" <jcmorel -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:58:45 GMT

Hello all,

Here is a summary of the answers to my question on cross-browser popup help for web applications.

QUESTION (snipped quite a bit):
<<We are currently trying to select a help authoring tool for our web application...<snipped>...We want to be able to create cross-browser html help, context sensitive help and popups like What's This
..<snipped>... We are looking for a tool that will allow us to create help that our users can also access directly in the application (browser) window when they need an explanation of a part of the web application. For example, by clicking or doing a 'mouseover' on a form or button in the web application, a pop-up type explanation would appear.>>

ANSWERS:

-------------------From Alice Kirk: <<A javascipt will handle this beautifully. This is a great source for javascripts http://javascript.internet.com/toc.html >>

-------------------From Corinne Backer who uses RoboHelp: <<As far as a secondary browser window ("This action would open a pop-up type explanation possibly with graphics such as equations or icons and so on. NOTE: We would prefer not to opt for the solution of having another page open in a new browser window with the explanatory information") I have the understanding that this is controlled by you or your web guys, whoever does the actual file setup. I had the same requirement, asked my developers, and they said they could do it either way, and that we could also control what the popup window looks like when it initially appears (size, available tool bars, placement onscreen, etc.) but that of course a devious user can fiddle with it. But most users don't.

-------------------From Susan Harkus: <<There are some good ideas on implementing pop-up windows (well, pseudo-pop-ups!) at the following web site. http://www.ancient.mq.edu.au/boomerang/teaching.www/java/popups.htm I am looking at the option of having a small "question mark graphic" beside each form label to implement a pop-up Help window that disappears when the pop-up loses the focus (the onBlur example of the web page). I will be generating the cross-browser Help with TOC, Index and full text search in HDK....A browser-based application (that is browser-based to be cross-platform) provides only a subset of the UI and user assistance functionality that we have experienced in Windows applications.>>

-------------------From Ben Weisner: <<You can also check out an article I wrote at http://www.htmlbasedhelp.com/howto/secondary/index.html for more information about launching secondary windows and pop-ups using Javascript and DHTML.>>

Hope this helps.

Josée Morel
SLP InfoWare