Re: Dreamweaver Questions - URGENT

Subject: Re: Dreamweaver Questions - URGENT
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, Sylvia Braunstein <sbraun -at- rugged -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:29:29 +1000

At 06:28 2/14/00 +0200, Sylvia Braunstein wrote:

1. I would really how to set up a test area so that people in the US
and in Europe can view website (with a password)?

This depends on how your web server is set up, so you'll have to ask the system administrator, but it certainly can be done.

On your template question, I use them for my avalook site. Some tricks I have discovered:
a) As soon as you create a new page from a template, save the new page to the directory (folder) where it is supposed to be. Then DreamWeaver will set all the links correctly.
b) If you add any links (to other parts of the same site) in the editable region of your page, avoid typing in the links. Instead, use DW's drag-and-drop technique, so it gets all the relative paths correct. Save often.
c) If you move a page, do it only inside DW and it will adjust all the paths for the links.

The only time I've had a problem with a link was when I violated trick #2 and typed it in myself.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/

2. On the left side of my website, I have a series of links that are
the same for approximately 80 pages of our website. If I have to add a
product to this list of links, I have to add a link on 80 pages, which
is ridiculous. I thus decided I would use templates. I set up a template
with the left side and the top of the page (buttons - graphics) set as a
non-editable area, making sure that that all the links are working
properly.
Once I open a "new file from template", all I do is pasting the text and
links in the editable area. Sometimes, it works fine. Most of the time
the links get messed up (this includes everything: graphics, links,
etc.). I noticed that Dreamweaver adds in the path of the links the
following: File:\\ instead of following the regular path. I suppose
this is why everything gets messed up. ANY ideas?