RE: Dreamweaver Questions - URGENT

Subject: RE: Dreamweaver Questions - URGENT
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:30:14 -0500

1. Can't help with this one.

2. I believe this may have to do with how DW handles what it calls sites. DW
knows when a file (selected for a link) is not under a site root. For
example, I just clicked the "link" folder, navigated to a folder not in the
site. In the URL space it says "file:///C|WINDOWS/DESKTOP/ and Relative To
is listed as Document. As soon as I move to a folder inside my definded DW
site & select a file, it is listed properly (e.g., "folder/file.htm").

I did have a problem for a while where DW was throwing in an extra "/"
before every file name. This was because Relative To was set to Site Root.
(I'm not sure when you'd use Site Root.)

So, may I suggest checking your site structure--make sure all files are in
folders underneath the designated root folder--, and checking those two
items on the Select File (for linking) window. You *can* change the path in
the URL field, but of course you would have to be careful that the file is
actually *in* the path you've specified.

By the way, I haven't used templates, but I use the Library items a lot and
like them immensely. I have found, however, that the links in the library
items break if I move or copy a file (which includes a Library item) using
Windows Explorer. If I use Save or Save As in DW, all the links are
automatically adjusted so they work.

Sylvia, if you have access to a newsgroup reader, the Macromedia-sponsored
newsgroup for Dreamweaver is excellent--it is monitored by DW tech support
people (I believe) and others are also very helpful.

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.

Braunstein