Re: Pay rate for contractor with no experience

Subject: Re: Pay rate for contractor with no experience
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:46:41 -0500

At 08:30 PM 2/14/00 -0600, Jo Francis Byrd wrote:
>My first contract job back in '93 (and I had NO experience!) was $25/hour. In
>this area, experienced (senior level) tech writers should get at a minimum
>$35/hour, and more likely $40. I'm in help development, and that puts me a
>little higher on the food chain, but I've had no problems getting my
requested
>rate (which is higher than $40/hour, BTW).

Here in Canada, I've had almost the same experience, with only slightly
different numbers.

My first contract in 1994 was for $25 CDN/hour. Since then my rates have
increased slowly but steadily. I'm at about the $40/hour mark now,
depending on the contract -- up a little if they want me onsite, down a
little if I'm "just" writing (little or no project management, because I'm
part of a team).

I see ads here in the Toronto area for full-time tech writers with about my
level of experience (intermediate to senior) at $50-65K CDN per year.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net