RE: Pay rate for contractor with no experience

Subject: RE: Pay rate for contractor with no experience
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:58:49 -0500

> From: Win Day[SMTP:winday -at- home -dot- com]
>
> Okay, I'll show my Canadian-based ignorance.
>
> What's the difference between a W-2 contract and a 1099 contract?
>
> Win Day
> Technical Writer

The difference is who pays the taxes, how much taxes are paid, who gets what
deductions, and whether the company in question is also offering benefits.

That's the short answer. For a longer answer see any tax accountant or tax
lawyer specializing in American tax law. Then don't be surprised if you're
still confused. We can't even get straight, consistent answers out of the
Federal tax people (the Internal Revenue Service).

Tom Murrell
"Blindly paying taxes since 1965."