RE: Techies vs Usability vs. Porn

Subject: RE: Techies vs Usability vs. Porn
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:20:09 -0600

>Microsoft are fanatic about ease of use

I just can't let this one pass. MS is, perhaps, fanatical about paying
lip-service to usability, but they continue to make elememtary mistakes in
their user interface design to this day. Their reliance on
pinpoint-accurate mousing is brain-damaged at the least, but they still
adhere to it. Tog has a fairly good analysis of many of their problems out
at his site. They play a big part in his explanation of Fitts' law.
(http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html)

Their website is a poster child for confusion. Every time I visit there it
takes me at least three times as long to find what I'm looking for as it
should, and half the time I'm beset by "no such page" errors or jscript
errors when I follow their own links! (Although, oddly enough, the
scripting errors are only present when I visit with Explorer; if I use
Netscape they go away.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224