Re: Insuring the contract Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Insuring the contract Tech Writer
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "Tristan Bishop" <claritydocs -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:23:34 -0800

Tristan, you typically do not need E&O insurance because the customer reviews and approves your drafts, and final docs. What you call crime insurance is probably covered under your homeowner's or renter's policy. However, many companies will not hire a contractor without 'Premise Liability Insurance'; someone might trip over your briefcase during a meetings at the client's location. It cost me $500 a year for a $million.

Marc

I'm enjoying the discussion about w-2 and 1099s. I love contracting and the
freedom it brings. What's helped me is picking a big client, coming in at a
reasonably low rate, working hard, regularily raising the rate, and
gradually building my knowledge of their internal business.

I do have a question. Do you other contractor's carry professional
liability insurance, blanket crime insurance and error's and ommissions
coverage?

I sit in my office and type up manuals and email them. Why would I
logically need all this coverage? What do you typically expect to pay for
the coverage?

Thanks,

Tristan Bishop
Clarity Consulting

Marc A. Santacroce

Senior Technical Writer
ePubs, Inc.

"An idiot with a computer is a better, faster idiot."