Re: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for contrac tor with no experience)

Subject: Re: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for contrac tor with no experience)
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: Justin Cascio <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:48:17 -0700

Justin Cascio wrote:
> This is terrible! Why does anybody contract? Why am *I* contracting? Of

Because for the right people, in the right market, it's very
rewarding. In the Silicon Valley right now, good, experienced
tech writers can darn near name their price. How near?
$70, $80, $90/hour with no problem. $100/hour for the
right person in the right place. And that's net to the
contractor, not what goes to the agency.

In hiring a couple of contractors recently, we saw some
resumes for writers who were probably getting (net from
agency) around $50-$60/hour. My first question to the agency
was "what's wrong with them?". (The answer was nothing,
and the outcome is that they were on the street for under
24 hours between contracts.)

FWIW. The info above notwithstanding, though, you'll
note that I'm captive and not dissatisfied. (It's
a good market for captives too.)

Eric