Wording without he/she

Subject: Wording without he/she
From: "@í" <sdeichmann -at- voicemobility -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:01:18 -0800

The following is a message that pops up on the screen when a user tries to
remove a subscriber with dependent mailboxes:

"The subscriber you have selected cannot be removed because he/she has
dependent mailboxes. Please remove these mailboxes before removing the
subscriber."

I would like to reword the statement so that he/she is not used, but I'm
having trouble. Please note that I'm not looking at this as a he/she issue
(and how to handle it). Instead, I want to eliminate the use of pronouns
entirely, without sounding repetitive. For example:

"The subscriber you have selected cannot be removed because the subsriber
has dependent mailboxes. Please remove these mailboxes before removing the
subscriber."

This statement uses 'the subscriber' too many times.

One idea I had was to use:

"The subscriber you have selected has dependent mailboxes and cannot be
removed. Please remove these mailboxes before removing the subscriber."

However I don't think this statement is as clear as the first one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sue Deichmann