Re: Business Writing Course - Any advice?

Subject: Re: Business Writing Course - Any advice?
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:20:27 -0500

At 09:28 AM 02/24/2000 -0600, Mike McGuire wrote:
>...My company employs many computer programmers
>who are Indian and whose first language is not English.
>Recently, we have had some problems resulting from
>misunderstood written communication coming from
>these employees. My company is very concerned with
>how this "less-than-understandable" writing might be
>perceived by our clients. That's where I come in. They
>want me to design and teach a business writing course
> to help improve the clarity and presentation of written
>communication coming from these employees...

Unlike most list members, I usually both design and code my systems and
write my documentation, manuals, and user guides. Although I consider this
ideal (since no one knows the system's strong points and workarounds better
than the developer),
this is only prudent when the developer is a good writer. I have worked
with numerous Chinese and Indian colleagues who were brilliant programmers,
but who would have been ill-suited for writing written materials.

I therefore suggest that you consider hiring a tech writer (whether
permanently or as a consultant). Chances are strong that you'll have much
happier employees (since they undoubtedly are uncomfortable doing something
they know they don't excel at), much more satisfied customers, and much
greater productivity.
"Scottie" (The Scottish Terrier Lover)
Origami_Art -at- onelist -dot- com (folding, framing, using beautiful origami)
QuilledArt -at- onelist -dot- com (exquisite paper filigree, framed or 3-D)
Scherenschnitte -at- onelist -dot- com (cheap, beautiful paper cutting art)