RE: Have you seen this GUI element?

Subject: RE: Have you seen this GUI element?
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:56:33 -0500

Karen Peterson asked about:
My co-worker recently designed an interface with a control that I am not
familiar with, but I don't think he made it up. He has what looks like a
drop-down box, but instead of an arrow, the button at the right has an
ellipsis.

From _The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design_:

Include an ellipsis (...) as a visual cue for buttons that require
additional information. Like menu items, the use of an ellipsis indicates
that further information is needed, not just that a window will appear. Some
buttons, when clicked, can display a message box, but this does not imply
that the command button's label should include an ellipsis.

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com