Re: Policy=Function=Operation=Goal=Task=Process

Subject: Re: Policy=Function=Operation=Goal=Task=Process
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 19:11:23 -0800 (PST)

> Can describe the 'What': Policy, Function, Procedure, Operation, Goal, Task,
> and Process.
>
> Can describe the 'How': Procedure, Operation, Task, and Step.

First, these are all words that all mean similar things. Unless you plan on
kicking off a semantic argument, the difference between a "Goal" and a "Task"
is a function of the person standing in front of you. One dolt's procedure is
another dolt's policy. KnowwhatIMean?

Furthermore, who cares about WHAT and HOW. What and how change like the wind.
You want real confusion, start asking WHY. Why does this work this way? Why
are we doing this? Why do we care about this?

If you know WHY, WHAT and HOW are obvious.

Andrew Plato
http://im.yahoo.com