Re: Lives there a boolean integer?

Subject: Re: Lives there a boolean integer?
From: Peter Kleczka <pkleczka -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:24:30 -0800 (PST)

Mark

Most programming languages
allow you to evaluate an integer as a boolean
regardless of whether or not the language
has a formal boolean type. If these languages
provided a boolean type (like C++ does) then
might be important to make the distinction
between an integer *type* and boolean *type*.
However it is usually more important to know
how a value is evaluated rather than its data
type. Especially in Perl, the data type
returned is dependent on the context of
how an expression is evaluated rather than
on the types involved.

If you want to be rigorous *AND*
(pun intended) refer to the integer as
boolean, just include a footnote or
something like, "although C and Perl have
no boolean type, this text refers to the
integer value returned by their functions
as boolean values where 1 = true
and 0 = false".

Pete Kleczka
pkleczka -at- yahoo -dot- com