Re: a vs. an

Subject: Re: a vs. an
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: Kelly Parr <KParr -at- c-bridge -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:13:25 -0600

Here's what my handy Harbrace College Handbook, tenth edition, 1988, says:

Use "a" before the sound of a consonant: a yard, a U-turn, a one-base hit. Use
"an" before a vowel sound: an empty can, an M.D., an ax, an X-ray."

I was always taught you use "an" before words beginning with "h," so "an
historical moment" IS grammatically correct.

Jo Byrd