Re: The Real Offense

Subject: Re: The Real Offense
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:21:37 -0600

One of my more frustrating contracts occured for a project where I understood
perfectly how the program worked, but had NO clue as to why I'd ever want to. I
found the project manager's prediction that I would know the program better than
anyone there frighteningly accurate. Never did I have any clue as to the business
purpose, nor could I get any feedback as to the accuracy of my documentation.

When I left, I asked permission to use the help file as part of my portfolio,
going so far as to create a prototype with all the technical, proprietary stuff
stripped out (it LOOKED sharp, everything worked perfectly). The legal department
went into hysterics. EVERYone was dying to see this program!!! Yeah, right. In
their dreams!

Quality documentation requires a partnership between the writer and the
development staff. Too bad it doesn't always work that way.

Jo Byrd