RE: Documentation preferences for beta users?

Subject: RE: Documentation preferences for beta users?
From: Kevin Feeman <Kevin -dot- Feeman -at- micromass -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:12:20 -0500

Geoff Hart writes in response to Laura and beta user doc preferences:

> Anecdotal suggestion: My opinion (personal experience as a
> beta tester) is
> that paper docs work best in the early stages of beta
> testing, and that
> online help can be added to subsequent builds once you learn
> what subjects
> the users want to cover in the online help.

I agree with Geoff, getting a good set of hardcopy documentation seems to
work the best, at least in my opinion. As a software goes through beta,
there are going to be problems, errors, bugs, etc. and most users that I
have found do not want to have bugs in both areas. Also, getting paper docs
set helps you create online help, because online help uses much information
from a user's guide.

My 2 cents.

Kevin Feeman
Lead Senior Technical Writer
MicroMass Communications Inc.
www.micromass.com <http://www.micromass.com>
(919) 851-3182 Ext. 3105
kevin -dot- feeman -at- micromass -dot- com