FW: Question on Professional development policy?

Subject: FW: Question on Professional development policy?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:20:29 -0500

Marc Santacroce wondered <<Does anyone's organization have a Professional
Growth Policy or Professional Growth Guidelines, for use when making
decisions about spending company money to pay for membership dues in
professional organizations or professional conference/seminar registration
fees?>>

FERIC will pay for one membership per employee without question (two
memberships if you're at a supervisory level), and an additional membership
if you can make a compelling case for it. We also have provincial guidelines
for the minimum % of our budget that we have to spend on training and
professional development, so it's usually easy to make a case for getting
training of various sorts. But some training is also given as a reward for
good performance: the better the work you do, the more likely they are to
let you fly off to attend a conference of some sort.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Hofstadter's Law: The time and effort required to complete a project are
always more than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's
Law.