Blue Collar Tech Writers

Subject: Blue Collar Tech Writers
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:42:42 PST

Don't plan writing - just do it you lazy #$ -at- *$&! Faster, faster, faster!

- Such summarizes the opinion of a very frequent commentator to this listserv. Is this what TW is all about?

I recently read a book on software development project management that stated that a major reason product development planning efforts fail is because most software developers take a 'blue collar' (factory worker) approach to their work: Hands always on their keyboard - bang, bang, bang. Execute, execute, execute.
It is like they are being paid per keystroke - like many factory workers who are paid on a piecework basis.

Is it not also true that many Tech Writers take the same approach - always thinking with their hands on the keyboard?

Do I want to by into such an execution-centric approach to work? Hey, I live in Cleveland, Ohio - still, a very-much-so blue collar factory town. If I wanted to be an execution freak, I would have completely forgone college and went, straight out of high school, to work for one of the automobile factories. It is fairly common for an auto assembly worker to make well over $100,000 per year, much more common than for TWs - even real fast TWs. (And believe me $100K + in lower-cost Cleveland is a hunk of change!)

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

Discover the true meaning of life: always drive within posted speed limits. - A. Markatos