Contractors - Typ Job Duties?

Subject: Contractors - Typ Job Duties?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:10:40 PST

Questions for all listserv contractors:

Do TW contractors do a lot reorganization and rewrite of existing (poor quality) documentation? Is this the most common task performed (vs original content creation)? Also any comments on the below would be appreciated.

IS THIS WHAT THE WORK IS LIKE?

An agency recently contacted me about a contract job. They said that all applicants must complete a "writing" test. They faxed me a copy of the test. The main part of the "writing" test was a representative sample (about two pages) of the client's end-user manual. I was instructed to edit/rewrite as necessary.

The client sample was terribly written - totally incomprehensible. I have a technical (engineering) educational background; I am used to reading "heavy" material. But after reading through the sample four times, I was still completely lost.

It occurred to me that this was NOT a writing test; it was a test of my willingness to pour hear-and-soul over non-sense time-and-time-again until I could make some sense out of it. The exercise of any writing skill was not a primary task. Is this what contract TW is all about?

Thanks,

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)