Re: terms: window/dialog

Subject: Re: terms: window/dialog
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:20:02 -0800

Barclay Blanchard wrote:

> I've been happily writing along for a few years using
> "window" as a description of everything in the
> Windows interface with a title bar, fields, and buttons,
> and today a programmer was telling me that when
> you can't resize the "window," it's a dialog.
> Have I been ignoring a standard naming convention?

Yup. And there are many variations on what you find in a window: dialog boxes,
fields, buttons, etc.

> What do you call these objects: windows or dialogs?

Depends on what you're describing. Get yourself a copy of Microsoft Manual of
Style and start reading about windows and other objects. Most of us use
Microsoft's definitions as a default.

> How much does it matter? (Have I erred egregiously?)

Depends on how much your clients want their terms to be industry-standard. And
when you're writing for programmers, you usually need to be more precise in
terms like that, since it matters what the objects are called.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Previous by Author: Re: Question for Contractors
Next by Author: Re: Indepenent Contractor questions
Previous by Thread: terms: window/dialog
Next by Thread: Re: terms: window/dialog

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads