Re: The Real Offense

Subject: Re: The Real Offense
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:40:26 PST

Jo Byrd wrote:

One of my more frustrating contracts occurred for a project where I understood perfectly how the program worked, but had NO clue as to why I'd ever want to. I found the project manager's prediction that I would know the program better than anyone there frighteningly accurate. Never did I have any clue as to the business
purpose, nor could I get any feedback as to the accuracy of my documentation.

Tony Markatos responds:

Been there! The fact that you (as a TW) knew the product better than the developers means that they offloaded a major portion of the required systems analysis effort onto you (probably without giving you systems analysis pay). If the required analysis is not done upfront it HAS to be done downstream - otherwise the product is useless.

They did not give you any feedback because they did not want their lack of knowledge exposed. Particularly at start-ups, often there is only one person who understands the business goals supported by the product and how they all interrelate. The owner. And he ain't telling!

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)