Does Technology Exist?

Subject: Does Technology Exist?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:09:37 PST

A recent poster said:

A strong background in tech writing theory and a strong technical background makes the perfect tech writer. And of course experience....

Tony Markatos responds:

Does technology exist? I have over a decade of experience in the software industry. I have lead systems analysis efforts (including large scale integration projects), and have done QA and TW. I still don't have the slightest idea what technology is.

The way I see it, everything is procedure. There is automated procedure and there is manual procedure. Every part (except for stored data) of the most complex software product ever developed can be described as procedure.

Likewise, every electronic circuit ever designed is really just automated procedure. I have read (Ed Yourdon) that all mechanical devices, including automobiles and machines, are just mechanized procedure.

I myself, when I don't understand the procedural nature of a product, do an intellectual "punt" and call it technology.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)