RE: MS Word Master Document

Subject: RE: MS Word Master Document
From: David Chisma <dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "'David M. Brown'" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:35:09 +1100

David Chisma wrote some more:

Here's the deal on my 180-page Word 2000 manual. It's made of 21 included
files (I use INCLUDETEXT fields to add the text, not RD fields. Word help
says of RD Fields, "Identifies a file to include when you create a table of
contents". In my document using INCLUDETEXT fields, the text of the included
files is imported into the main document, therefore referencing the
documents using RD fields is not needed.

All headers and footers (including page numbers) come from the main document
because the INCLUDETEXT field only includes the text. So, page numbering
isn't a problem. As far as Word is concerned, when generating the TOC and
Index the document *is* a single 180 page document, not 22 separate pieces.

When I make a PDF using Distiller, there is only one fault that I've found:
the generated bookmarks go to the end of the included section, not the
heading at the beginning. However, the bookmarks are easy to re-assign.

David Chisma
Technical Writer
Retail Directions Group
dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au