Re: Education for tech writers

Subject: Re: Education for tech writers
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "Karen Field" <kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:26:13 -0500

On 3/16/00 5:07 PM, Karen Field (kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com) wrote:

>Keep in mind that my LT goals involve self-employment.

So you've answered your own question, then. If your long-term goals
involve self-employment, then the only thing that will serve your goals
are learning your field thoroughly and developing a reputation with peers
(and, more importantly, product developers). Formal training, whether
online or brick-and-mortar, never came up during my 10 years of
contracting. Clients cared about the quality of the work I'd done before,
and that was demonstrated by samples and references, plus reputation.

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

P.S. It also helps if your full-time work has been for unstable
companies. As your co-workers leave or are laid off and spread out to
other companies, so do your business contacts. Think of a dandelion in a
puff of wind...

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman