Re: tech wtr pre-ipo stock options II

Subject: Re: tech wtr pre-ipo stock options II
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:27:14 -0800 (PST)

> 1. I guess a better way of asking the question would be:
>
> does anyone have data about the ratio of:
>
> stock options offered to a sr tech wtr
> ------------------------------------- = ??
> stock options offered to a programmer
>

> this way of looking at the situation would
> constrain all other variables
> (total number of options, time to vest, amt vested per time period, etc)

Tech writers will generally get 1/3 to 1/4 the options that a main line
programmer would. Recent examples: Java programmer we placed got 2200 shares,
tech writer at same office got 650. This is based on my ancedotal evidence and
not a scientific survey.

> 2. Are there professional resources (compensation consultants or
> brokers)
> who might be willing to discuss this?

MY company, Anitian Consulting, provides representation services. There are
other that do the same.

> 3. Does anyone have any references to written material or web sites
> that discuss the issue? ( I have checked the resources on techwtr-l
> site)

You'll be hard pressed to find any resources like this. There is no hard and
fast way to determine what is a good offer and what is not. As I mentioned
before, get a valuation on the company or negotiate in terms of percentage
stake.

Good luck
Andrew Plato

http://im.yahoo.com