Re: tech wtr pre-ipo stock options II

Subject: Re: tech wtr pre-ipo stock options II
From: "Rick Ramsey" <rick -dot- ramsey -at- east -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "Andrew Plato" <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:42:11 -0500

In my experience the disparity hasn't been so drastic. Long ago, before
startups got such high valuations, I was recruited early by a startup that
needed a writer. I was employee 15 and got boatloads of shares, only
slightly less than the original engineers. Unfortunately, I'm using the
shares as wallpaper right now. Just recently, a colleague of mine was in a
similar position, becoming employee 20 or so of a company that now has 1,000
employees and will probably go public this year, and he got about 75% of the
shares that the original (and very senior) programmers did. Other writers
who later joined that company got about the same ratio of shares compared to
programmers who joined when they did.

In my experience, a good basis for comparison is salary. If a techwriter
makes 80% of a programmer's salary, he/she should get 80% of the shares.

Rick