Re: Hourly Rates and Per Diem

Subject: Re: Hourly Rates and Per Diem
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Jill Shindelman <jill_shindelman -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:27:47 -0500

Jill Shindelman wrote:

> I've worked on a number of out-of-town contracts which
> included a per diem. Perhaps the most important
> aspect of the per diem is keeping the IRS happy.

See my prior posting on this subject

<snip>
> In all cases, the recruiting firm offered a certain
> number of dollars per hour above the rate paid for the
> actual work done. The amount varied depending on the
> area of the country where the project took place.
<snip>

> Out-of-town contracts can be fun, almost like paid
> vacations. But you do have to be careful about the
> per diem aspect. And one final piece of advice: be
> sure to get a good accountant!

Call in a tax advisor, not necessarily an accountant and seek the advice
while negotiating your agreement. Believe it or not, the even though we
are dealing with a federal tax, the tax law is administered and
interpreted differently in different parts of the country.

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig.
You soon realize they both enjoy it.