Re: Flesch Reading Ease scale? or one-pass reading?

Subject: Re: Flesch Reading Ease scale? or one-pass reading?
From: SusanH -at- cardsetc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:18:24 +1100

I have a very simple measure that I apply to anything I write = if my
reader has to reread the sentence, the sentence has failed.

Whenever my documentation/training/whatever is being used in a situation
where I can get feedback, I just ask people to tell me which sentences they
reread to be confident of their understanding.

It is a clear measure: the one-pass reading measure. You don't need to
calculate statistics; you don't need a tool or a methodology and for me, it
is a definite measure of how effectively your "words" communicate.

Of course, it is possible that people will be so hungry for information
that they will be willing to reread sentences to make sense of what is
being presented. However, if you don't know that what you will learn will
be useful or valuable, you aren't very motivated to "work harder".

Susan Harkus

Cards Etc will be on stand 573 at CardTech SecureTech in Miami
from 2nd May to 4th May. Look forward to seeing you there!

This e-mail is from Cards Etc Pty Ltd (ACN: 069 533 302).
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify us immediately
(by reply e-mail) and delete this e-mail from your system.