Re: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees

Subject: Re: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:03:12 -0500

John, I think you may be overstating the case.

If a manual is utterly task-based and properly designed for that, an index
is of questionable value. But many manuals have long sections of exposition,
with loads of technical terms and other things that obscure the points the
user may want. Many manuals are written like third-party books, almost all
of which have (and need) indexes. This isn't necessarily "poor" structure.
It's just expository structure.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com