Re: Telcordia vs Bellcore

Subject: Re: Telcordia vs Bellcore
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: Rahel Bailie <r_bailie -at- trillium -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:39:20 -0800

Rahel Bailie at r_bailie -at- trillium -dot- com wrote:
> When referring to a standard that has been a Bellcore standard, how have you
> been referring to it since Bellcore became Telcordia: Bellcore, Bellcore
> (now Telcordia), Telcordia, Telcordia (formerly Bellcore), or other? No
> matter how I write it, the phrasing seems awkward.
>
> Any succinct opinions are appreciated.

Here's a copy of a message in the archives from last October, posted by
shelly -dot- l -dot- hazard -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com -dot-

------------------------
<<We have a LARGE series of documents that refer to Bellcore
Standard TR-303. Bellcore has changed its name to Telcordia Technologies
and has changed the standard to GR-303. Now, this is a Standard that is >>

I maintained our engineers' technical library for a couple of years and can
give you a little input on this subject.

The numbering scheme Bellcore uses actually has nothing to do with
Tellcordia - it is how Bellcore marks the 'evolution' of their standards.
If I recall correctly, it goes like this:

The first standard format is a TA (Technical Advisory, I think) - this then
becomes a TR (Technical Requirements) - the last stage is a GR (General
Requirements).

To my knowledge (though I haven't ordered anything recently), Tellcordia is
still sending out stuff with the name of Bellcore on it.

My recommendation would be to leave the docs alone unless you are revising
them for something else. Then, verify with your engineers that there isn't
a newer/later version of the standard and if so, which version of the
standard the product represents.
------------------------

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com
p. 831-761-6565
f. 831-761-2452

Sage Instruments
240 Airport Blvd.
Freedom, CA 95019
www.sageinst.com

You may be on the right track, but if you just sit there, you're bound to
get run over.