On-line help in PDF?

Subject: On-line help in PDF?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:04:06 -0800

John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com> wrote:

>I'm going to be moving our on-line help from FrameViewer to
something else. Has
>anyone here been involved in doing a help system in PDF? I'd
sure like to hear
>how successful it was, what problems you encountered, and any
advice you have.
>Thanks!

Used well, PDF is an excellent choice for on-line help. It gives
you more control over design than the alternatives, and makes
single-sourcing easier. You might even want to contact Adobe
about incorporating Acrobat Reader into the program you're
providing the help for: if I remember, the licence for doing so
is very modest (about $100?).

To get full benefits, the most important thing to remember is:
write to on-line standards. On-line help reads much better on
paper than paper documentation reads on-line.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
3015 Aries Place, Burnaby, BC V37 7E8, Canada

"Truth-loving Persians do not dwell upon,
The trivial skirmish fought near Marathon . . . "
- Robert Graves, "The Persian Version"

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Mastering FrameMaker 5 -- reprints now shipping:
http://www.FrameUsers.com/masteringframemaker.shtml

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: tfryan1 -at- USA -dot- NET