Mentoring among technical communicators

Subject: Mentoring among technical communicators
From: Elizabeth Wong Mark <lizwongmark -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 10:48:46 -0500

Greetings:

My first post to this digest: a request for participants in a graduate research project on mentoring in the technical communication profession, with an emphasis on gender study. I am a graduate student at Southern Polytechnic State University (SPSU) in Marietta, Georgia (north of Atlanta).

I've identified two audiences to direct my research questionnaires:
1 - women who have had a mentor, the ?mentees? or protegees of mentors
2 - either men or women who have served as a mentor

I will keep the identities of participants confidential and post a summary of results. The first questionnaire is below; if you match either of the target audiences listed above, I'd appreciate your assistance.

As I receive digest version, please reply directly to me at: lizwongmark -at- mindspring -dot- com When I receive your completed questionnaire, I have **one more questionnaire** to send to you directly.

I believe that mentoring is an area with growing interest and offers many benefits to technical communicators. One obvious example of the increased interest is Techwr-L?s poll question involving mentoring and the match up program. I thank you in advance for your time -- Elizabeth Wong Mark, SPSU Class of 2001

QUESTIONNAIRE - Gender study on mentoring among technical communicators
(Your identity remains confidential.)
Please indicate your response:
· Years in the profession: ___less than 3 years, ___3-6 years, ___7-12 years, ___more than 12 years
· Are you a member of any professional organization such as STC? If so please list memberships.
· Level of education completed: ___post-secondary, ___bachelor?s degree, ___master?s degree, ___doctoral degree
· I have participated in a mentoring process, either formal or informal. Check the statements that apply: ___ I was a mentor. ___ I was the person being mentored. __ I actively sought to participate in mentoring. ___I was asked to participate in a mentoring program.
· Has your participation in mentoring benefited your career? [Yes/No] If so, please explain and include as many specifics as possible. If not, why not?

[Please reply directly to lizwongmark -at- mindspring -dot- com ]