RE: FWD: Good Company Fit

Subject: RE: FWD: Good Company Fit
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'George Hinman'" <techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:05:11 -0400

George has hit on a solution that has always worked well for me. It also
raises the visibility of the profession, by demonstrating the many ways we
as communicators can add to the overall success of the company. There is
still a widely held misconception in many companies that a TW's primary
responsibility is to "make it look pretty". And while that's important, it
hardly encompasses the range of what we do.

I'd also suggest that you ask some more open-ended questions during the
interviews, some that may seem unrelated, but in fact should give you a
broad picture.

1) What is the company policy towards staff training, including budget? Do
staff members contribute to internal training?
2) What kind of projects are on the horizon for the next 12-18 months? If
they can't tell you in at least a general way, they have a totally
inadequate business plan, and you'll be sitting around twiddling your thumbs
when you're not up to your ears fixing mistakes and trying to make a
slipping deadline.
3) How much interaction is there between engineers/developers/project
managers and TWs? If you can offer assistance to them in developing
specifications, standards, RFP responses, and/or UI, for example, you'll
quickly see the new opportunities that can come up. And you will gain their
respect for assisting them.
4) What's the traditional role of the TW on a project? I've seen places
where it ends up being minutes taker and copy editor, and other (more
preferable) places where it is to contribute to product development and
usability with ideas, suggestions, QA support and whatever else is
necessary.

I'm sure other members of the list can come up with some additional
questions.

I've yet to have a job that turned out exactly like I was led to believe,
but that's because I make every effort to expand the role I've been given,
and then do the job better than they expected.

Good luck

Connie Giordano