Re: Of Mice and Morons

Subject: Re: Of Mice and Morons
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Andrew Plato" <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:10:52 -0700

Oh, Andrew, if I weren't already happily married, I would propose!
You said:
| Like every person who ever lived I do dumb things and I miss details. I'm
| moron! Fortunately for me, there are other morons who can catch my moronic
| acts. We morons have to stick together you know.
|
| Furthermore, as a writer it is our job to explain to morons how things
work.
| Honestly, seeing your audience as morons is very helpful because it forces
you
| to dumb down your text.

Oh, am I a moron. Tax stuff? - moron. Fine investment details? Moron.
Cooking? Moron. Bookkeeping? Moron. Auto mechanics? Moron. Missing
grammatical details during the end of the project? Moron. Screwed up
instructions in first (and sometimes second) draft? Moron. Do poorly in a
new visually rich environment? Moron.

What the heck is usability test about except to see what the morons do with
our great stuff? Is it a good idea to dismiss our readers as unimportant
because they are morons? No, bad idea. Think of them as morons who need to
be protected from themselves? Oh, probably a good idea.

And Andrew, you used the wrong from off to in your last sentence. You needed
to make it too, as in as well. ;-)

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com