Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:29:37 -0700

I was doc manager for a small software company and looking to hire a third
writer. I was interviewing an older man - I was 30 at the time - and since I
was looking for older experience, he was looking good. His qualifications
were in more than just technical writing. I wanted a broader person than my
other pretty good writers for upcoming promised multimedia projects.

There we sat in suits in my office - door open - and he said he wanted to
tell me a story. And he did, an off-color, slightly obscene story. I was in
shock. Out for a drink, in a bar, with coworkers, after work, I would have
laughed at the story. During a job interview with your female boss to be,
BAD IDEA!

I thanked him for his time walked him to his door and staggered back to my
desk. Could not believe it.

Then there was the time I was interviewing with a potential new client and
the man I was interviewing with asked if I had noticed his ring. I said no
and he held his hand out so I could clearly see the ring that showed 2
people having sex. After recovering from my shock, I thanked him, gathered
my stuff and left. They actually made me an offer later that week and I
refused. Couldn't see working for/with someone who thought that was
appropriate during the interview.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com