Subject: Summary: Information Design Books?
From: "Eric Thomas" <erict -at- installshield -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:57:23 -0500

I thought I'd post a summary of the messages I received on this topic. I
only received a few messages, but recommended were:

Writing Effective Software Documentation by Patricia Williams and Pamela
Beason
Designing and Writing Online Documentation: Help Files to Hypertext, William
Horton
Microsoft Windows User Experience
Developing Quality Technical Information, Gretchen Hargis

Personally, I've been referring to "The User Manual Manual: How to Research,
Write, Test, Edit and Produce a Software Manual" and UnTechnical Writing:
How to Write About Technical Subjects and Products So Anyone Can
Understand," both by Michael Bremer. They both touch on some of the issues
I've had to deal with, but they focus more on print and project than online.

Thanks to those who responded.
-Eric

Eric A. Thomas
Technical Writer