Evaluating A Company?

Subject: Evaluating A Company?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: MPaliotta -at- comversens -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:24:26 PDT

Mary Paliotta asks:

So I guess, let me ask: How can a writer to measure the good/poor
management of an organization when job hunting? ..... Really, how is it possible to identify places that have just typical
work/industry problems vs. wacked out and out-of-control places that
practically create 5x as many problems as they manage to control in a day?

Tony Markatos responds:

For software system companys, always ask to look at the specifications. Proper evaluation of such gives one a pretty good idea of the REAL situation. In particular:

* Have they formally documented end-user requirements? This specification document is generically referred to as "a bucket of shalls" - The system shall do X, the system shall do y.

* Look at their software requirements specifications. (Software requirements specifcations take the end-user requirements and model them into a clear, concise, integrated whole.) Do they make sense? - a computer novice should be able to understand the gest of them in one 30-60 minute study. Do they employ data flow diagrams and entity relationship diagrams (or their OO equivalents).

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)