Re: Evaluating A Company?

Subject: Re: Evaluating A Company?
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 13:33:18 -0700

Tony Markatos contributed:

For software system companys, always ask to look at the specifications.
Proper evaluation of such gives one a pretty good idea of the REAL
situation. In particular:

* Have they formally documented end-user requirements?

-------
It would be nice if all companies have such things as end-user
requirements and specifications. But most of the companies I've worked
for lately are start-ups. I'm usually their first technical writer and
the only documents that exist are the "notes" (if you can call them
that) of the development team who working 20-hour days to slam together
their initial product release.

One thing I've used as a measure is this: See if they will do a team
interview (over the phone if you telecommute). Many of the new start-ups
are using a different interviewing model because they want to be sure
they can work with new hires as part of their team. They don't have time
for training or dealing with the uncooperative - they want to be up and
running with the new person "right now!"

I use to be afraid of team interviews, but now I find that they are a
greater benefit to me than to them. By getting everyone who you will be
working with into one room you get the feel of the group dynamics. I can
begin to see the team spirit and/or politics rise from the conversation.
I make sure I ask questions about the environment that I will be working
in. Such as:

* Who will I be reporting to?
* If I have critical questions, who do I go to?
* What formats do you want your documentation in?
* Who is your audience (users, in-house, 3rd party companies)?

I know these sound like simple questions, but you would be amazed how
many times people have to actually stop and think about these questions.
Many times they haven't thought this far in advance.

These questions usually give me a chance to offer some suggestions as
well. When I offer the suggestions I get a chance to see how well they
go over. Do these people have everything already set in mind, or are
they open to suggestions?

In most start up companies, I find they are looking to me for direction,
and advise, and they want me to control the situation. They just don't
want to deal with the documentation part of the business. Let's face it,
they want to produce a product, not worry about the "details". In their
minds, the documentation is secondary. It becomes my job to make sure
that the documentation is part of the product and the company image.

Hope this helps.

-Dianne Blake
write-it -at- home -dot- com