Re: Sample Doc Sets

Subject: Re: Sample Doc Sets
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:39:19 -0500

Every writer I know keeps a stash of material. If you're plugged in to STC,
you can probably find several people who will lend you things.

I have to question the value of them, however. The end product is pretty
easily designed for look and feel. The major work occurs behind the scenes,
structuring, planning, interviewing, writing, etc. That's where most
problems occur and where the training is often the lightest. Seeing manuals
doesn't indicate anything about methodologies. In our Clustar Method, for
example, the output often strikes people as rather simple and
common-sensical. Most the Method actually deals with preliminaries that
don't show up in the final layout.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com

> "I've just been thinking (and trying to find) some tech writing sites that
> have sample manuals. This would be a good idea for people just starting
out
> in the field and experienced users to keep up with new methodologies.
Does
> anyone know of any sites that have partial or sample manuals or
> documentation sets?"
> I didn't find any responses, but the question's alive for me right now.
Can