Re: What does a superscripted "SM" Mean?

Subject: Re: What does a superscripted "SM" Mean?
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Dianne Blake" <write-it -at- home -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:35:18 -0500

It stands for "Service Mark". A service mark is a cousin to the trademark.
While a trademark identifies a particular product, a service mark identifies
a series of actions we call "service". For example, our Clustar Method (TM)
is trademarked, but our company, Simply Written Inc., is technically a
service mark.

The reality is that the registered service mark has fallen in disuse in the
past few decades. You still find it in some pretty interesting places,
though. If you're a science fiction fan, you might recognize the World
Science Fiction Society, and its Huge Award. Both are service marks.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com