Re: Need to write-protect parts of a document...

Subject: Re: Need to write-protect parts of a document...
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:07:24 +0530

Hello Linda,

Word has a feature called Form which can be used to create Forms (yes, where
you enter Name, Address, etc). You can use this feature to protect the
entire Form. Meaning -- only certain parts will be unprotected and users
can make entries. I am sure you can use this feature for your purpose. It
may take you some time to understand this feature. Needless to add -- you
don't have to create an actual form (with Name, address, etc). Just use the
feature to develop electronic Power of Attorney. If you are a Power User of
Word -- you should be able to figure out how to do a Form. (Also, you have
done it in Excel -- so it should not be all that difficult.)

There is a feature to protect Word documents -- called Protect Documents.
However, this applies only to sections. Meaning, you can protect whichever
sections you want (and not specific paragraphs, etc). This feature is easy
to use. Simply create the Power of Attorney in sections. Use the Protect
Documents feature and select sections which you want to protect to prevent
your clients from modifying these sections. This feature will really be
child's play for you. The only disadvantage I see is that entire sections
(say paragraphs) will have to be protected.

For even greater control, you may also adopt the PDF route or more
specifically PDF Form route. You will need Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and there will
be a short learning curve. Also, if you do not have this package you will
have to buy it. One disadvantage of a PDF file is that the file size is
quite large (and does not get compressed) -- so a little bit of a problem
for emailing. Of course, a POA should not be all that weighty -- so not a
big issue.

Hope this helps.

Guru (guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in)

(a global telecommuter based in India!)

> My company frequently sends out electronic Power of Attorney forms to
> clients via email. Is there a way to write-protect certain
> paragraphs/sentences, while leaving others open? We're currently using
Excel