Need to write-protect parts of a document...

Subject: Need to write-protect parts of a document...
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:11:48 +0200

Linda,

you might seriously consider PDF as a base for these forms. You can make
the document non changeable, except for the fields you want to be fillable.
You also can prevent some objects from being printed out. Besides that, you
can use digital signatures to detect modifications and to undo them.

In addition, the PDF format gives you a lot of freedom in designing the
forms (which you definitely don't have in Excel).

What you would need: In any case, you would need the full version of
Acrobat. Your clients would need either Acrobat Reader, or Acrobat Business
Tools (if they too are supposed to use digital signatures, or if they have
to be able to store the forms contents locally).

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

My company frequently sends out electronic Power of Attorney forms to
clients via email. Is there a way to write-protect certain
paragraphs/sentences, while leaving others open? We're currently using Excel
to do this, because we can write-protect certain cells, allowing clients to
enter their info into the unprotected cells, but the interface is
intimidating/confusing to our clients. Is there a way to do this in Word or
some other program?