Re: Chapter headings / placement Part two

Subject: Re: Chapter headings / placement Part two
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:04:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Daniel Hall <misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net> wrote:
> Sorry, my post was truncated.
>
> My second questionis, should the "general info"
> section come at the
> beginning or end?
> It makes a good intro, but as several folks have
> already mentioned, lots of
> readers skip the intro. Does it make sense to have
> it at the end as a sort
> of "if all else fails?"

I suppose you could put it in both places. Some will
read it at the beginning. Others will catch it at the
end. Most will probably continue to skip it.

Okay, that was a little facetious. In truth, I would
put the information where it makes the most logical
sense in the organization of the document. You might
also consider titling it something more descriptive
than "Introduction." As you rightly pointed out, lots
of people skip Introductions.

How many more people might read a section titled,
let's see, how about "If All Else Fails"? Or perhaps
"The Most Important Chapter" or "The Key To Winning
$50,000 is in This Section." (Okay, okay...I'm
getting out of hand, but you see the point, eh?)

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems