RE: How many have this problem at work?

Subject: RE: How many have this problem at work?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

FWIW, everyplace I've worked--and that is limited to
Central Ohio in this context--has had an "ironclad"
restriction against using company computer resources
for personal business. Specifically, no Internet
surfing using the company's network access and no
personal emails at work.

That said, every company I've worked at has ignored
the personal activities of their employees unless it
interferes with company business. Some managers seem
to be more hard cased about it than others. Most seem
to take the attitude that as long as it doesn't
interfere with getting the work done, they'll turn a
blind eye. However, when they want to get rid of
someone, and they don't feel they have enough
"evidence" to do so, they'll trot out Internet usage
or personal email abuse as a reason.

Personally, company restrictions don't bother me so
long as they don't interfere with my ability to do my
job and so long as the "rules" are enforced fairly and
not capriciously.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer