Re: Which comes first....

Subject: Re: Which comes first....
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:37:45 +0530

Dear SivaKumar:

The easy way to go about anything in life is to do what you're told. That way you can blame the Chicago Manual of Style, or Microsoft Manual of Style. The hard way is to try to figure out what you want to achieve/deliver and then figure out the best way to do it. I use the index as a reference that takes the level of granularity down to the word level.

If you use a term (word) in the appendices or Notes sections, and would like to bring this added information to the user's notice, it makes little sense to have the index pointing both ways like a dipso at a crossroads (which it would do if it was the first tailbone).

Second: would you want to thumb backwards through Appendix 6, Appendix 5,4,3,2,1, Glossary, before you came to the index? Wouldn't it be more accessible if you opened to the second last page and found yourself in the index, and directly started searching for the word/term you need.

I place the index at the end of my book. I have had people say this is 'different', but makes more sense. There has been neither negative feedback, nor a valid argument against it. I could be wrong and will admit it to the first guy who gives me a valid objection.

Style Guides, Manuals etc., are there so that you won't re-invent the wheel. Also, tech writing, like any other profession has its fair share of lame-brains who need to be led. I wouldn't dare ask one of them to be 'practical' or 'creative'.

Techwriters are thinkers AND doers. Sometimes the minority is right. Don't always go by concensus. Use your brain.

Anybody who has a problem doing that, repeat after me...
"Our Father which art in heaven...."

OK

I'm done.

Tune in next Sunday for: "When you run off at the mouth, the feet must sometimes follow suit".

have a great day

eddy

Thought for the day: Arguing with an engineer is like mud-wrestling with a pig. All sod and grunts.

Send FREE April Fool's Greetings to your friends!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/American_Greetings.rdct