Performance Appraisal Dilemma

Subject: Performance Appraisal Dilemma
From: "Pumphrey, Steven M." <Steven -dot- M -dot- Pumphrey -at- pmusa -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:42:00 -0400

I'm sorry if this seems a bit off topic, but I need some help.

I need to write my Performance Appraisal for my boss. The appraisal needs
to contain bullet points of what I did and how I did it. The "how I did it"
part is supposed to come from our predetermined list of "Values-in-Action".
These "values" include:

Executing with quality
Driving creativity into everything we do
Sharing with others
Integrity, trust, and respect
Passion to succeed

Unfortunately, Managers seem to speak a different language than I do when it
comes to appraisals. As a writer, I like to be specific and to the point
especially when it comes to things that I have accomplished. I also
understand that I need to write to my audience's needs as well.

One of the accomplishments I am listing is that I "Identified Excel Macros
that needed conversion from the Mac to PC platform." (I haven't yet figured
out which "value" to plug in.) To help with my dilemma I asked a "seasoned"
employee to help me translate my accomplishment into something a Manager
would appreciate and understand. I got back something that I don't fully
understand and definitely something I would not write about myself. My
simple accomplishment bullet point now reads:

"Entered discovery mode to identify spreadsheets and macros -- Steve sought
out diverse resources to determine a place to start the discovery process
(PASSION TO SUCCEED/ Initiative). In addition to inquiries made to the
RSSAs, he contacted sundry support groups and other technical resources in
order to establish scope and to communicate the initiative with minimal
direction from his Team Leader. (SHARING WITH OTHERS/Teamwork) Steve took
advantage of sundry technologies to facilitate the discovery process, such
as e-mail, Internet searches, and reference manuals (DRIVING CREATIVITY INTO
EVERYTHING WE DO/Innovation)."

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Steve