RE: Technical writing salaries

Subject: RE: Technical writing salaries
From: Stephen Arrants <sarrants -at- roidirect -dot- com>
To: "'Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com'" <Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:41:57 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com
[mailto:Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 11:52 AM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Technical writing salaries

What are the salaries for a Sr. Technical writer? I live north of SF, Ca.
Is a
person with 3 yrs experience considered a Sr. TW? What is a Sr TW, anyway?

Thanks,
Perry

"north of SF, Ca" covers a lot of area. If you're talking about the
"Telecom Valley" area (Petaluma/Cotati/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa), $62K-$65K
is what I've heard being offered. (Of course, that was a few months ago...it
is probably a little higher now, with the market being what it is.)

I wouldn't consider someone with 3 yrs. experience a Senior, but then again,
with the current market I know folks right out of UC Berkeley's program
getting those titles.

As to what a Senior is, that can vary depending on the company and its
history and career ladder. Generally, I see a Senior as a writer with a
minimum of four to five years progressive experience, some leadership of a
team, responsibility for an entire project or major piece of a project.
Also, some mentoring experience and abilities. YMMV, of course. Nothing
stays the same in this business.

steve arrants

Stephen Arrants
Manager of Technical Communications