RE: cost of information

Subject: RE: cost of information
From: Stephanie -dot- Barton -at- eddiebauer -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:18:25 -0700

I need to expand on this because I'm shocked at the propoganda I've gotten in
some of the responses to my initial statement:

If I bought a book and I called the publisher to find out what kind of paper
they used to print it on, they would not charge me for that information. I think
its ridiculous to say "that's how these companies make their money." No, they
make their money by selling software and related products, and as I already
agreed, by selling access to support. The operative word there is...support.
Product information is not yet, from my limited experience, a marketable
commodity. But, some of you may be right and I should realize that they've got
to pay for those two tech writer struggling to produce adequate documentation
for their fifty products to meet the needs of their thousands of customers
somehow.