RE: cost of information

Subject: RE: cost of information
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "'Stephanie -dot- Barton -at- eddiebauer -dot- com'" <Stephanie -dot- Barton -at- eddiebauer -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:46:51 -0400

On Thursday, April 06, 2000 1:08 PM, a really frustrated
Stephanie -dot- Barton -at- eddiebauer -dot- com [SMTP:Stephanie -dot- Barton -at- eddiebauer -dot- com]
wrote in part:

snip

> I tried several routes to get information, calling customer service,
writing and
> calling tech support. One of the companies, which will remain nameless,
> responded to my initial contact via e-mail with "Go look on our website."
> called their customer service, who directed me to tech support, who
said--get
> this!--"Go look on our website." Now, I needed this information
immediately to
> prepare a report that will be a presentation for the director of my
department.
> If I had the time to go scouring the website, if I knew the right string
> input to get the info immediately, I wouldn't be $%$&#%^$ calling! I
contacted
> our corporate sales rep, thinking--hey, we are a major corporate client,
we've
> spent big bucks purchasing upgrades and enhancements--what gives?
Finally, as a
> last resort, I contacted an acquaintance (who's on this list actually),
who
> literally found the documents I needed in a matter of minutes. (You know
who you
> are and thank you so much)

snip
> I realize that all information is not free--but product information
should be.
> Has anyone else had this kind of difficulty gathering information from
major (or
> minor) software companies?
>
> Seething in the Northwest,
>
> Steph (and I'm on the digest)

In my experience, I have found the words "PRE-PURCHASE QUESTIONS" open all
kinds of doors. It gets the sales rep salivating and he or she will bend
over backwards to find out for you. If you can phrase your questions
specifically in terms of capabilities a sales rep can usually get the
answers you need.

Tom Johnson
Marketing Coordinator/Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering Div., Star Cutter Company

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com - work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net - personal