Re: Techical Writer vs. Secretary (LONG)

Subject: Re: Techical Writer vs. Secretary (LONG)
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "Jo Bin" <aname_01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:04:45 -0600

Jo,
My advice would be to bail on that company in a hurry. Your situation is NOT
normal. I've always had the pleasure of working with fantastic programmers,
DBAs, and other tech folks. Most of them know the value of technical
writing. In addition, they've actually been decent people who have respect
for others. They appreciate the job I do and understand that writing is a
skill just like programming. And (get this) there are actually women
programmers and managers. Tech writing is a great career and you will have
the opportunity to work with lots of bright, wonderful people in the new,
wonderful job that is waiting for you.

Your Neanderthal-pig boss and his piglet sidekick need to get a clue. I
agree with Steve that you may want to research whether their actions are
illegal. Even if you decide not to pursue legal action, you will at least
know you have the alternative, and alternatives are empowering.

(I'm hoping it's all right to call a pig a pig when I see one.)

The only thing staying there is going to achieve is the erosion of your
self-confidence. It's hard to ignore negative feedback. It's not worth the
stress for you and it's not worth giving those folks the satisfaction of
seeing you struggle to prove your worth when they've made it clear they
don't care.

Get out.

As far as questions to ask when you're interviewing, these might give you
some idea of the atmosphere you're entering. No guarantees of course, but
you'll be much better informed:

1. Do you currently have tech writers?
2. If this is the first time the project/company has had a writer, why are
you choosing to hire one? Why now?
3. What experience have you had working with tech writers in the past?
4. How do you see the writer fitting in the development process?
5. How does the writing manager support the writers? (if there is a separate
writing manager.)
6. What kinds of resources do the writers have available in terms of
training, tools, equipment, etc.? That will give you some idea of the value
they place on you.
7. What kinds of documents do you expect me to work on?

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/ is a site that has lots of excellent
information for job hunters, including how to research companies, prepare
for interviews, and ask questions of your own (and not just be prepared to
answer theirs).

Try to interview with the people you'll be working with, as many as
possible, and the reporting manager for sure.

And frankly, when you leave, I wouldn't worry about being tactful in the
exit interview. This sounds like one bridge you can be happy to burn. (Keep
in mind I have a very low tolerance for bull, especially the sort you're
describing. Life is too short and the scum isn't worth the headache.)

Lisa Wright

> The thing is, my boss does not respect technical
> writers. As a true engineer, he treats me like his
> secretary because he cannot write two lines without
> seasoning it of a least....28 mistakes. He makes me
> write his letters and belittles my requests to be more
> involved in the development process (meetings and
> technical documentation). Also, when I have asked him
> to get me a quieter spot in the new section where all
> the department is about to move to (about 14
> telephones ring constantly around me in the room I
> work in, surrounded by 14 people who have phone
> conferences and meetings at their desk several times a
> day), he has decided I would me sit right next to the
> door where the 30 programmers go to the bathroom and
> to lunch. A room that contains a pool table right in
> my back....Probable the most noisy area of the entire
> floor.
>
> One programmer is outwardly rude to me. He once said
> women have no business in computer science.

> I am so disgusted by this
> situation that I am really considering a career
> change.

> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based
Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
>
> Sponsored by IEEE Professional Communication Society. Meet PCS
> members and officers in Booth 304 during exhibit hours at the STC
> Conference, May 21-23. Learn more about us at http://www.ieeepcs.org.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: liwright -at- uswest -dot- net
leave-techwr-l-31081M -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com